25 Interesting Facts About YouTube
Considering how large and diverse our planet is with its population of 7 billion, it’s quite amazing how social media has rapidly expanded in the last decade to allow individuals and businesses to connect and share information across the globe. What were previously local markets and opportunities are now available on a worldwide scale. With Over 5 billion people using mobile phones, and more than 2 billion accessing the internet, the wealth of connected information is allowing, through social media, every individual their own soapbox to interact with and express themselves to the whole world.
One of such platforms enabling globally connected content is the video sharing website YouTube. Founded in 2005 by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim; and bought by Google for roughly £1.02 billion in 2006, it has rapidly become one of the most prominent websites on the internet behind only Google and Facebook.
Here is a list of some fascinating facts about YouTube:
- There are over 610 million views from mobile devices on YouTube every day.
- In 2011, mobile traffic increased by a factor of three.
- There are more high definition videos on YouTube than any other website.
- There is a ratio of 10:1 for videos in standard definition compared to HD.
- YouTube videos are embedded upon many millions of websites across the internet.
- In a single month, over 3 billion hours of videos are watched across the website.
- An hour of video is uploaded per second to YouTube.
- Throughout 2011, there were over a trillion views; about 142 per person on the planet.
- There are nearly 1 billion unique visits every month to YouTube.
- Each day, there are over 4 billion video views.
- Over half the videos on YouTube have been commented on or rated by users.
- Links to videos on YouTube are contained with more than 600 tweets per minute.
- On Facebook, 500 years of videos from YouTube are viewed per minute.
- Every week on YouTube there are 100 million social actions such as comments, likes or shares.
- Videos automatically shared to Twitter on average generate 7 new sessions on YouTube.
- Across 27 countries, there are more than 30,000 users that are YouTube partners.
- Millions of pounds are paid to partners per year.
- Some of the partners are generating six figure values per year.
- The revenue for partnership has increased by double for the past 4 years in a row.
- More than 3 billion video views are monetised per week.
- Content ID is used by more than 4,000 partners with many record labels, movie studios and network broadcasters.
- Over 100 years of videos are scanned per day by Content ID.
- More than 33% of monetised views are from Content ID.
- There are over 500,000 hours of reference material across 8 million files in the Content ID database.
- Content ID has claimed over 130 million videos.
Bespoke Website Design
Established in 2010, Nexus Websites are a creative digital agency based in Wigan working with clients all over the UK. With a vast range of experience and a proven track record we have everything you need to take your business to the next level.