10 Interesting Facts About Social Media Marketing
With the presence of social media ever increasing within people’s lives, it’s no great surprise that there are many marketing techniques that have developed to get the most out of social media. It’s an excellent resource for businesses to utilise as it allows them to research into the needs of consumers, as well as potential buyers researching into services or products.
Here is a list, put together by our wigan web design experts of 10 facts, that will help you answer some of your questions about social media:
- On Facebook, the average ratio of shares to views is just one share to every 9 views. When something “goes viral”, it is achieved by being shared outside of its original sphere of influence, being spread across the internet with the average person sharing it with their friends. It is not achieved by one person sharing and many thousands of people viewing.
- Managers and CEOs should use social media. 76% of consumers said they’re more likely to purchase from a business where the CEO is actively on social media, as it improves brand image. 83% of employees said that they view a company as more trustworthy if the management communicates through social media.
- Longer videos are more likely to be shared that shorter ones. Although videos that are two to three minutes in length see a sharp increase in social media sharing, videos that are four to five minutes or longer increase by about five times.
- The leader for social media referral traffic is Facebook with 27%. After that is Twitter at 3.5%.
- There are over 200 million Twitter accounts. 25% of which are considered very active, viewing multiple times per day.
- 62% of Google Plus users are male, with a significant amount being in their twenties. It is approaching 400 million accounts, however only 16% are thought to be active.
- The image focused social media website Pinterest has over 4 million accounts, increasing 4000% over the last half year. The average user is on the website for roughly 1.5 hours per month.
- Mobile phones are owned by about 4.8 billion people worldwide, with commerce predicted to increase by a factor of ten within 6 years from £1.8 billion in 2010 to £19 billion in 2016.
- More blogging equates to a higher amount of customers. 91% of bloggers posting several times per day have received a customer through their blog, decreasing to 65% for posting monthly. For those who post less regularly it drops down to 42%.
- Smaller companies spend 42%, double the share of their budget for generating leads, on inbound marketing compared to 20% for larger companies. Big companies spend triple the amount of their budget on trade shows, with small companies spending three times on blogging and over double on social media.
For more information please see our Social Media page.